- a movement forward
- a change for the better; progress in development
- a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others
- the act of moving forward (as toward a goal)
- an amount paid before it is earned
- increase in price or value
- move forward, also in the metaphorical sense
- bring forward for consideration or acceptance
- increase or raise
- contribute to the progress or growth of
- cause to move forward
- obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
- develop in a positive way
- develop further
- give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
- pay in advance
- move forward
- rise in rate or price
- Frank made the first advances towards making up his quarrel with Jack.
- Men who do not make advances to women are apt to become victims who make advances to them.