- A consequence of pathological changes in the gut mucosa, as seen in celiac disease or inflammations.
- There is blunting and flattening of villi with celiac disease, and in severe cases a loss of villi with flattening of the mucosa as seen here.
- Ceratin people are sensitive to gluten (celiac disease) and must have a gluten-free diet.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) or Duhring's Disease, is a skin disorder often associated with celiac disease.
- Oats are a hard case, since their role in triggering celiac disease is the subject of some disagreement among experts.