- perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
- behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
- play a role or part
- discharge one's duties
- pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
- be suitable for theatrical performance
- have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
- be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
- behave unnaturally or affectedly
- perform on a stage or theater
- He acted wrongly and without scruple.
- He acted a noble outlaw in the play.
- She acted in reliance on his promises.
- He acted in accordance with his beliefs.
- I'm sure he acted in good faith.
- They acted with precipitate haste.