- The head of a religious community, such as a monastery, an abbey, or a convent.
- The members of such a parish; a religious community attending one church.
- A member of a convent or other religious community.
- A member of a religious community of women living under a common rule but not bound by vows.
- She had a small property, which she bequeathed with much ostentation to a religious community.
- The Shakers were a religious community that came to the United States in the eighteenth century from England.