- an inference that if things agree in some respects they probably agree in others
- drawing a comparison in order to show a similarity in some respect
- the religious belief that between creature and creator no similarity can be found so great but that the dissimilarity is always greater; any analogy between God and humans will always be inadequate
- There is a vein of melancholy in his character.
- There was a long lag in forwarding mail to us.
- A bowl of hot chicken soup is good for you.
- A cloud is a mass of vapor in the sky.
- A country must have the will to repel any invader.
- A fire was burning in the grate.